At the end of the 18th century, Antoine Leroux-Préville acquired a 164-hectare estate - the Habitation Macouba - to create a sugar factory there and gave it the name of Fonds-Préville. A century later, in 1845, the estate was bought by Jean-Marie Martin who gave new impetus to the sugar refinery by transforming it into a distillery: the first stills arrived on the estate and he put his initials on the barrels, thus giving birth of the J.M. brand, which is enjoying growing success.
A few years later, in 1912, the distillery was bought by the Crassous de Médeuil family, who already owned a neighboring house (Bellevue). The two estates were then united in 1930 to compose a single one, of 400 hectares, and major improvements were made.
René Crassous de Médeuil, who managed the company until 1977, was one of the very first to try his hand at aging for more than 10 years. Modernization phases then followed: new electric mills were installed in 1993, a new aging cellar was built in 1996 and two new Creole columns were installed as well as new stainless steel fermentation tanks. In order to fight against the very important share of angels in Martinique, part of the cellar will even be refrigerated in 1999, but the experiment will be abandoned.
In 2002, the Bernard Hayot Group (G.B.H.) bought the distillery and undertook a complete modernization of the site to make it a model distillery open to the world.
Country : Martinique
Name : Distillerie JM
Address : Rhumerie de Fonds-Préville, Macouba
Website : www.rhum-jm.com
Foundation : 1845