The history of Dillon rums dates back to 1779 when a young captain, Count Arthur Dillon, landed in Martinique. He then met the heiress of a family of planters and ran the Girardin plantation (which had already been growing cane since 1690) which soon became Plantation Dillon.
It was not until the 19th century and a change of ownership that the production of sugar and rum started, under the leadership of Pierre Hervé. Bearing the brunt of the sugar crisis of 1866, the latter will give way to Louis Domergue who will lose his life in 1891 in a cyclone which will destroy the Habitation in passing. It was his son - Raoul Domergue - who rebuilt it in 1900, introducing a distillation column along the way in 1920. Column still in operation today.
The distillery will close its doors in 1928 to devote itself solely to the production of sugar, before resuming smoking in 1954. In 1967, the Bordelaise Bardinet company bought the plantation and began to invest, multiplying by four the production of agricultural rum . Then in 1993, it was around Bardinet to be bought by La Martiniquaise, a few years before obtaining the AOC Martinique.
The steam engine and the column will then be transferred to the Depaz distillery which continues to produce Dillon rum. Aging and bottling nevertheless continue to take place on the historic site of Fort de France.
Country : Martinique
Name : Rhums Dillon
Address : Fort-de-France
Website : www.rhums-dillon.com
Fondation : 1779