In 1749 Ferdinand Poulain, Count of Mauny, from the Breton nobility and adviser to the King of France, landed in Martinique. He married the daughter of a planter who owned an estate located in Rivière Pilote, in the south of the island, and gave her his name: Domaine La Mauny. At the time, the sugar estate produced little rum and contented itself with an anecdotal artisanal tafia. It was not until 1820 that the distillery began to develop rhum agricole (made from pure juice).
In 1883, the estate devoted itself entirely to rum and stopped producing sugar, before the Lapiquonne family bought it in 1890 to continue distillation. In 1923, the brothers Théodore and Georges Bellonie acquired the estate and continued to develop it: the first devoted himself to trading and specialized in rum, while the second devoted himself to distillation. They enlarged the production unit and modernized it with the installation of a distillation column in 1929 (instead of a double distillation), new grinding mills and a steam engine. The volume produced increased considerably and in the 1950s La Mauny experienced rapid expansion thanks to the marketing of its bottled rums (before that the rum was sold in bulk).
After the death of Georges at the end of the 1960s, the Bellonie family joined forces with the Bourdillon family to form the group “Les ancien establishments Bellonie, Bourdillon successors, La Mauny”. Now known as BBS, it will be joined by Trois Rivières and Duquesne. A new phase of modernization begins and production continues to grow in the years that follow.
A new distillery came out of the ground in 1981, hosting 3 distillation columns. The beginning of the 21st century will mark successive takeovers: the BBS group is bought by Quartier Français in 2007, then by La Martiniquaise in 2011, and in 2012 by Chevrillon in 2012. In 2015, the Maison La Mauny brand appears.
Country : Martinique
Name : Maison La Mauny
Address : Rivière-Pilote
Foundation : 1891