Long Pond

Brands

Long Pond

Long Pond's history dates back to the 1750s and records dating back to 1780 already show rum production.
Just like its neighbor Hampden, located a few kilometers away, Long Pond will have developed by buying various surrounding estates and plantations since the 17th century: in 1921, a Scottish company (Sheriff & Co) had a factory built in Long Pond and bought several estates (including Long Pond but also Parnassus, Hyde Hall, Steelfield and Etingdon), then in 1945 those of Cambridge, Linton Park, Belmont, Lottery and Water Valley and in 1949, the properties of Kinloss.

The beginning of the 1950s was marked by the takeover of the factory and Long Pond by the multinational Seagram, which took advantage of the opportunity to produce the rum that it would use for its Captain Morgan brand (a brand that dates from 1944 and was previously made up of rums from different small plantations in Trelawny). In 1955, Long Pond entered a new era by acquiring Vale Royal, a neighboring estate, and changing its name from Long Pond Estates to Trelawny Estates. In November 1977, the Jamaican government nationalized Trelawny Estates and renamed it "The National Sugar Company of Long Pond Limited". In the early 90s, the distillery became the property of various financial groups.

Today, the sugar factory and the distillery belong to separate owners: the first was bought in 2009 with the Hampden distillery by the Hussey family (and the Everglades Farms company), and the distillery is owned by National Rum of Jamaica (NRJ), a state-controlled company.

In 2021, National Rums of Jamaica launches the first official bottling of the Long Pond Distillery in Jamaica, a first since 1753.

Country : Jamaïque
Name : Distillerie Long Pond
Address : Clark's Town, Trelawny
Foundation : fin du XVIIIe

Long Pond